Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Food Chronicles: Part 1

So, if you know anything about me at all, it's that I love food. I love cooking food, going out for food, talking about food, learning about food, and obviously, eating food. I definitely think about food more than I probably should, but whatever, I have approval from Julia Child: "People who love to eat are always the best people." No argument there!

Anyways, here in Hungary, the cuisine is much different than back home. Bread, meat, and cheese are huge parts of the diet. I haven't really seen a vegetable dish offered on a menu, and only certain veggies are sold in markets. A salad here consists of iceberg lettuce and maybe a few tomatoes tossed on top for decoration. So, no need for me to feel guilty if I don't get the recommended 5 servings a day...

I've been here about two weeks, and this is some of the food I've tried so far:


 

 While away last weekend, this was one of the meals we were served. To start, a creamy soup.. not really sure exactly what is was, and as an entree, mashed potatoes and fried chicken. Very rich.

-


-

Now, this is my favorite part. I have a HUGE sweet tooth. I'm talking enormous. Colossal. Gigantic.. In all the markets here, they sell delicious variations of chocolate breakfast breads. See the one on the bottom left that looks somewhat like a cinnamon roll? It's a chocolate roll. And it's only 160 Forint, which is about .80 USD. I would lie and say I tried it once, but really, I think I've bought one almost everyday. How can anyone resist??

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your safe arrival and the beginning of your adventures...culinary and otherwise. I'm excited for you. Not only did you have the opportunity, but you took it! Good for you. Looking forward to more photos and stories. And recipes! Cheers, T

    ReplyDelete