Saturday, October 12, 2013

The Food Chronicles: Part 2

So, it's been a little while since I did a food post.. But I've been eating pretty well. I cannot get over how rich and heavy the food is here. Salad? I'm not even really sure what that is anymore. I've been doing more of my own cooking in the less-than-amazing communal kitchen here, and that basically consists of sautéing zucchini or cauliflower and making pasta. Very gourmet. 

 
First off, GYROS. A staple here. They are so delicious and cheap [500 HUF.. about $2] and warm and seasoned and did I mention delicious..  And hey, there's some cabbage and stuff in there. Vegetables, right?

 
Next staple: pastries. Also incredible cheap, about 200 HUF. Pastry places, called 'pékség,' are everywhere and it's so hard to not just buy everything in the case all the time. 

 
I don't usually eat at sit-down restaurants, cause they're typically more expensive, but when I have, there's often really great chicken dishes. Of course, Hungary is famous for the chicken paprika, which is a must try, but the other chicken I've tried has been pretty good too. 


 
Few places serve actual breakfast, but there's a cute cafe right next to my dorm that serves up muesli, yogurt, fruit, orange juice, and an espresso for 1500 HUF. It's perfect for weekends or a treat on a weekday morning. 

 
Yep, burger and fries. French fries are a big thing here. They're served with so many different meals. 

 
Now this is actually a meal I had in Prague, but it's pretty similar to a traditional Hungarian dish. It's pork wrapped in a potato pancake and then fried. Fried food. It's a very, very big thing here. Also, drinking beer with every meal is common as well. And I mean every meal, as in breakfast too. 

 
 Along the fried thread... This creation is a traditional Hungarian dish called 'langos.' It's a fried dough pancake smothered in sour cream, cheese, and sausage/bacon, typically. You can get other toppings too, like I opted for onions, and there are usually also pepper choices and maybe other kinds of meat. 



No comments:

Post a Comment